& Housing Market
America's Veterans by
Congressional District Patterns: Language Spoken at Home
These data come from a three-part ACS question. Part one asks, “Does this person speak a language other than English at home?” Part two asks, “What is this language?” Part three asks, “How well does this person speak English (very well; well; not well; not at all)?”.
Data on language ability and use has become increasingly important as the U.S. population has become more diverse. Public and private sector service providers use data on language ability to help meet the communication needs of different communities by tailoring services to schools, hospitals, and other providers. These data are also used to monitor and enforce the Voting Rights Act of 1965.
The interactive ranking table presented below is based on a selection of items from the social characteristics demographic profile (items S110-S120). See congressional district profiles to view integrated demographics for individual districts. Yellow columns highlight percent of population who speak a language other than English at home and do not speak English "very well." See column/subject matter descriptions below table.
111th Congressional Districts -- Language Spoken at Home: 2008 & 2009 -- Interactive Ranking table
Click column header to sort; again to sort other direction. Usage notes below table.
See related Ranking Tables Main Page
The ranking table includes 435 congressional districts, District of Columbia as an congressional district equivalent, all States and D.C. with a state summary level.
Use vertical scroll bar at far right of table to scroll across areas.
Optionally sort on selected column or view only areas in one state then sort ...
Click on column header to sort on that column; click column header again to sort in other direction.
Click ShowAll button to show all areas and restore full set of data view.
Click State to view areas in a selected state (click ShowAll between selections).
Find by Name: key in partial area name in text box to right of Find-in-Name button
then click button to locate all matches (case sensitive).
See related ranking tables.
Ranking Table Column Descriptions
LANGUAGE SPOKEN AT HOME -- 2008
- Pop5+08 Population 5 years and over
- Eng08 English only
- LOTE08 Language other than English
- NWell08 Language other than English -- Speak English less than "very well"
- NWell%08 Language other than English -- Speak English less than "very well" -- Percent
- Spanish08 Language other than English -- Spanish
- SNWell08 Language other than English -- Spanish -- Speak English less than "very well"
- SNWell%08 Language other than English -- Spanish -- Speak English less than "very well" -- Percent
LANGUAGE SPOKEN AT HOME -- 2009
- Pop5+09 Population 5 years and over
- Eng09 English only
- LOTE09 Language other than English
- NWell09 Language other than English -- Speak English less than "very well"
- NWell%09 Language other than English -- Speak English less than "very well" -- Percent
- Spanish09 Language other than English -- Spanish
- SNWell09 Language other than English -- Spanish -- Speak English less than "very well"
- SNWell%09 Language other than English -- Spanish -- Speak English less than "very well" -- Percent
Cell value of -1 indicates insufficient data available to develop estimate.
Proximity develops geodemographic-economic data and analytical tools and helps organizations knit together and use diverse data in a decision-making and analytical framework. We develop custom demographic/economic estimates and projections, develop geographic and geocoded address files, and assist with impact and geospatial analyses. Wide-ranging organizations use our tools (software, data, methodologies) to analyze their own data integrated with other data. Contact Proximity (888-364-7656) with questions about data covered in this section or to discuss custom estimates, projections or analyses for your areas of interest.