Tip of the Day - Median Housing Value by ZIP Code Area
.. tip of the day .. a continuing weekly or more frequent tip on developing, integrating, accessing and using geographic, demographic, economic and statistical data. Join in .. tip of the day posts are added to the Data Analytics Blog on an irregular basis, normally weekly. Follow the blog to receive updates as they occur.
.. the most recent estimates of median housing value by ZIP Code area are based on the American Community Survey (ACS1014) 5-year estimates.
This section is focused on median housing value and ZIP code areas. Many other subject matter items will be apparent when these methods are used. Median housing value ($MHV) is used to illustrate the process and because it is a popular subject matter item. Methods described here apply to many other geographies; see related tip sections.
Five data access and use options are reviewed. Each method illustrates how $MHV can be analyzed/used in different contexts.
Option 1. View the data as a thematic pattern map; use the GIS tools:
-- Median Housing Value by ZIP Code Area; Los Angeles Area
Click graphic for larger view with more detail.
View developed with CV XE GIS software.
Use the Mapping ZIP Code Demographics tools to develop similar views anywhere in U.S.
Option 2. Use the interactive table:
- go to http://proximityone.com/zip14dp3.htm (5-year estimates)
- median housing value is item H088; see in item list above interactive table.
- scroll left on the table until H088 appears in the header column
- this column shows the 2014 ACS 5-year estimate for H088 for all ZIP code areas
- see usage notes below table.
Option 3. Use the API operation:
- 5-year estimates for all ZIP codes ...
- median housing value ($MHV) is item B25077_001E.
- click this link to get B25077_001E (median housing value) using the API tool.
- this API call retrieves U.S. national scope data.
- a new page displays showing a line/row for each ZIP code.
- median housing value appears on the left, then ZIP code.
- optionally save this file and import the data into a preferred program.
- more about API tools.
- more about using 1-year and 5-year estimates.
Extending option 3 ... accessing race, origin and $MHV for each ZIP code ...
click on these example APIs to access data for all ZIP codes
.. get extended subject matter for all ZIP codes
.. get extended subject matter for two selected ZIP codes (64112 and 65201)
Items used in these API calls:
.. B01003_001E - Total population
.. B01001_011E -- Male: 25 to 29 years (illustrating age cohort access)
.. B01001_035E -- Female: 25 to 29 years (illustrating age cohort access)
.. B02001_002E - White alone
.. B02001_003E - Black or African American alone
.. B02001_004E - American Indian and Alaska Native alone
.. B02001_005E - Asian alone
.. B02001_006E - Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone
.. B02001_007E - Some other race alone
.. B02001_008E - Two or more races
.. B03001_003E - Hispanic (of any race)
.. B19013_001E - Median household income ($)
.. B19113_001E - Median family income ($)
Housing & Households
.. B25001_001E - Total housing units
.. B25002_002E - Occupied housing units (households)
.. B19001_017E -- Households with household income $200,000 or more
.. B25003_002E -- Owner Occupied housing units
.. B25075_023E --- Housing units value $500,000 to $749,999 (owner occupied)
.. B25075_024E --- Housing units with value $750,000 to $999,999 (owner occupied)
.. B25075_025E --- Housing units with value $1,000,000 or more (owner occupied)
.. B25002_003E - Vacant housing units
.. B25077_001E - Median housing value ($) - owner occupied units
.. B25064_001E - Median gross rent ($) - renter occupied units
ACS_5yr_Seq_Table_Number_Lookup.xls - table/item lookup
ACS2014_Table_Shells.xlsx - table shells
acs_questionnaire_2014.pdf - ACS 2015 questionnaire (topic coverage)
View subject matter items online - slow
Option 4. View the median housing value in context of other attributes for a ZIP code.
- click this link to select a ZIP code of interest.
- when the report displays, scroll down in the table to the housing value section.
Option 5. View 5- and 10-mile circular area profile from ZIP (80204) center.
- profile dynamically made using SiteReport tool.
- with SiteReport running, enter the ZIP code, radii and click Run.
- comparative analysis report is generated in HTML and Excel structure.
- Click this link to view resulting profile.
- from the profile, site 2 is 1.9 times the population of site 1.
- Site 1 $MHV is $296,998 compared to Site 2 $MHV $269,734.
- GIS view with integrated radius shown below.
Support Using these Resources
Learn more about demographic economic data and related analytical tools. Join us in the Data Analytics Lab sessions. There is no fee for these Web sessions. Each informal session is focused on a specific topic. The open structure also provides for Q&A and discussion of application issues of interest to participants.
ProximityOne User Group
Join the ProximityOne User Group to keep up-to-date with new developments relating to geographic-demographic-economic decision-making information resources. Receive updates and access to tools and resources available only to members. Use this form to join the User Group.
ProximityOne develops geographic-demographic-economic data and analytical tools and helps organizations knit together and use diverse data in a decision-making and analytical framework. We develop custom demographic/economic estimates and projections, develop geographic and geocoded address files, and assist with impact and geospatial analyses. Wide-ranging organizations use our software, data and methodologies to analyze their own data integrated with other data. Follow ProximityOne on Twitter at www.twitter.com/proximityone. Contact ProximityOne (888-364-7656) with questions about data covered in this section or to discuss custom estimates, projections or analyses for your areas of interest.