Decision-Making Information Web Sessions
-- DMI#06 -- Examining K-12 Schools, School Districts & Education and Children's Demographics
About this Session
This session is focused on using data, tools and methods to examine K-12 schools, school districts & education and children's demographics.
Topics covered in this session are intended for school and education agency staff, researchers and stakeholders who seek to examine characteristics, patterns and trends within or among many schools, school districts and related geography.
A "One-to-One" version of this session is available to meet the needs of a specific audience and optionally focused on specific geography, subject matter and application framework. Contact us (mention 1-to-1 dmis06 Web session in text section) or call (888.364.7656) for more information.
We have structured this document/session as a combined reference and referral for your post-web session use. We conduct this session every few weeks with periodic updates and changing application focuses. An expanded version of this page is available to members of the ProximityOne User Group.
This session makes use of the ProximityOne CV XE GIS and related software. By using these software tools, we are able to support existing user interests and provide common, integrated, software tools for all participants. Any version of the software can be used. Participants who have any version of the software can emulate steps/topics reviewed in this session and expand on topics covered to meet special interests. Optionally use this CV XE GIS installer to install CV XE GIS (no fee) on your Windows-based computer. ProximityOne User Group. members may install any of the Level 1 software tools.
Presenter: Warren Glimpse (about)
This page (being viewed): http://proximityone.com/dmis06_sd.htm
Register (no fee)
... see list of upcoming sessions
... these sessions cover both basic and a set of new topics
Examining the School District Community & Infrastructure
1. Accessing & Using Geographic-Demographic-Economic Data
... this session covers subject matter associated with 2015 State K-12 Schools GIS Projects & Datasets
... what data are included, how are the data organized and accessed, how data can be used.
... New York 2015 State K-12 Schools GIS Project
... more details to be covered in Web session
2. K-12 Schools
2.1. K-12 school geography
2.2. K-12 Public Schools interactive table - administratively reported characteristics
2.3. K-12 Private Schools interactive table - administratively reported characteristics
2.4. mapping school locations; schools in context of related geographies & demographics
3. School Attendance Zones
- attendance area mapping; analysis of characteristics & patterns
4. School District Demographic-Economic Data
4.1. School district geography (boundary shapefiles)
4.2. Reported by education agencies -- School District Interactive Table
4.2. Census 2010 Demographics
- School District Comaparative Analysis
4.3. American Community Survey Demographics
4.3.1. ACS_based School District Demographic-Economic Profiles
4.3.2. ACS-based Interactive Tables
- General Demographics
- Social Characteristics
- Economic Characteristics
- Housing Characteristics
4.4. Estimates & Projections -- http://proximityone.com/schooldistrict_projections.htm
5. Children's Demographics
- attributes about children, grade relevant children, and their liviing environment by school district
- annually updated ACS school district special tabulation
- Children's Demographics by Type of School Enrollment (ACS 0812)
6. Largest School Districts
- 100 Largest School Districts, 2014 update extended profiles & ranking table
7. School District Finances
- School District Finances -- sources and uses of funds
- relating school district finances to legislative & congressional districts
8. Equivalencing School District Geography with Other Geography
- Census 2010 census blocks: the building blocks for school district geography
- ZIP code to school district relationship table -- http://proximityone.com/zip-sd.htm
9. Analyzing the K-12 Education Sector (NAICS) by ZIP Code, County and Metro
- establishments, employment, earnings; quarterly and annual patterns
- Register here
- Related events
ProximityOne develops geodemographic-economic data and analytical tools and helps organizations knit together and use diverse data in a decision-making and analytical framework. We develop custom demographic/economic estimates and projections, develop geographic and geocoded address files, and assist with impact and geospatial analyses. Wide-ranging organizations use our tools (software, data, methodologies) to analyze their own data integrated with other data. Follow ProximityOne on Twitter at www.twitter.com/proximityone. Contact us (888-364-7656) with questions about data covered in this section or to discuss custom estimates, projections or analyses for your areas of interest.